Monday, August 9, 2010

Pour Some Sugar On Me

This week I visited a Carolina Beach institution, Britt's Donuts. My mom told me all about Britt's after her visit last year but this was my first time at the venerable establishment. We left the condo and headed over on Sunday morning around 9AM to taste the doughnuts that my mom says, "make Krispy Kreme taste like Dunkin Donuts."*

The line was ridiculous.

After waiting in the heat and humidity we ordered a dozen donuts. All of Britt's donuts are made to order, there's no conveyor belt here and no baskets of stale donuts. Every donut is fresh from the fryer to your mouth. Don't walk in here looking for sprinkles or jelly or chocolate-cream-filling. The only flavor is glazed and the recipe hasn't changed since the shop opened in 1939. In fact, the current owners are still using many of the original kitchen implements and utensils.

The taste is fantastic!! It's soft and gooey but hot and crispy all at the same time. You end up with sugary glaze all over your fingers and crumbs sprinkled all over the counter. And I dare you to eat just one!


*For the record, I like Dunkin Donuts and am not a huge fan of Krispy Kreme. My favorite donut of all time is a chocolate cake donut with chocolate icing from Reuter's Bakery in Chicago.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT? How can you like DD over KK? I'm terribly disappointed in you. But, thank you for introducing me to Britt's - it looks amazing, and if I'm ever in town visiting you, promise me you'll take me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhh, we discovered that in highschool, when we all went down to Carolina Beach and stayed at Amanda Oldham's beach house. That was a weekend in and of itself!! Remind me to tell you that story....

    ReplyDelete