Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Get Happy

There have been a number of things making me unhappy lately. And, as it is my tendency to be caught in a web of my own inertia, I sometimes need to be reminded (or remind myself) of all those things in my life that make me happy. I truly believe (most of the time) that happiness is a choice we can make every day and that, even when it seems like life is conspiring to make us miserable, we can choose to be happy. (Obviously depending on the circumstances we have varying degrees of success in this endeavor.) Today, I choose to be happy.

And to aid in my effort to be happy today I'm making a list in no particular order of the things that are making me happy.

1. The weather: Spring appears to be sticking around a bit and it's really showing off today. I'm surrounded by lush green trees, abundant flowers, blue sky and sunshine. It's gorgeous.
2. My job: It's not perfect and it's not everything I want but I am working in a library and putting on programs for children. For these reasons and more, I am lucky to have this job.
3. Adam: He's silly and wonderful and makes me happy everyday. Enough said.
4. Friends: With the distance between all of us, it's easy to sometimes feel like I don't have any friends. And while it's true that local friends are scarce, I do have wonderful friends. And both the local and far-away-friends are only a phone call or e-mail away.
5. My new shoes: I bought these for wandering around Italy and I wore them to work today to break them in and so far they're nice and comfy! (And they're cute.)
6. Dark chocolate in the break room. Again, enough said.

What's helping you choose to be happy today?

1 comment:

  1. We're all guilty of getting caught in our own web of inertia... well put! Today the hot sunshine is making me happy! Finally, spring (summer?) has arrived (temporarily) in Chicago! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete